If you're going to college soon, we'd like to save you about four years of heartache. Here are seven mistakes not to make, now that The Rules are part of your
1. Don't look up his class schedule and follow him around campus hoping he will eventually notice you. It's great exercise; otherwise don't bother. Either he noticed you or he didn't.
2. Don't hang out in the dining hall for all three dinner shifts hoping to spot him at some point between 4:30 P.M. and 8:00 P.M., and end up gaining the "freshman twenty-five pounds" instead. (Do you really want to spend your college career in the cafeteria wondering, "When will so-and-so walk in?")
3. Don't have your girlfriend talk to his best friend and find out how he feels about you or if he even knows who you are and/or become best friends with his fraternity or the girl on his floor, or do favors for anyone he knows. (Don't waste your time. No one not even his best friend, can make him like you.)
4. Don't find out what his favorite albums or CDs are and play them all the time and don't wear, say, a Grateful Dead T-shirt if that's his favorite rock group. (Strange how women think that men are attracted to women who dress like men—sporty and even grungy. Yet; it's always the girls with cute jeans and fashionable shirts that get the guys.) The Rule is don't wear clothes to copy men, but to attract them.
5. Don't become a cheerleader or sports fanatic simply because he's on the football team. The same goes for taking up smoking or drinking because he does those things. Many women we know sipped Perrier on dates with men who drank alcohol and smoked and are now married to them. When it comes to habits, be yourself.
6. Don't offer to help him with Shakespeare if literature is not his strong suit or type his papers, hoping he'll date you. He either wants to or doesn't.
7. Don't be stupid about safety! Date rape has become quite rampant in college these days. Be wary. Study in a lounge or library rather than alone with him in his dorm room or off-campus apartment. Always tell someone your whereabouts so they can keep track of you. Rules girls don't take chances. Don't take date rape lightly!
Now that you know what not to do, what should you do to attract your man on campus?
1. Study! After all, that's what you're there for! Smart is
2. Eat sensibly, even when your friends are gorging on unlimited cafeteria food and having piTza delivered to their rooms at midnight. We suggest you take fruit from the dining hall to save as a midnight snack. Tell yourself during the pizza party that your jeans will fit tomorrow. Remember, overweight is not The Rules.
3. Wear makeup. Read Glamour and other popular fashion magazines.
4. Get involved in some extracurricular activity, preferably one that you're interested in and where you can meet men naturally.
5. Don't sit in your room alone on Friday and Saturday nights reading Jean-Paul Sartre. Friday and Saturday nights are for mingling. You can read Sartre on Monday.
6. Pick a major and a career goal. College is not about picking up your MRS degree although you may very well meet your future husband on campus. Still, you must exercise your brain, both for his sake and yours. Don't be a ditz!
Was this article helpful?
If you asked most women today what type of girl men adore and couldn't live without they would answer the she would have to be an Angelina Jolie lookalike or at the very least be blond, blue-eyed and have killer legs. While this type of woman would definitely attract a lot of attention, she actually the type of woman that men adore.